Sunday, August 28, 2011

Isolation Tank Experience

Interesting, Scary, Dark, Tank.
I want to share with you my experience inside one of these floatation tanks (also known as isolation tanks). On the left side is a picture I took just before I entered the tank.

What is an Isolation Tank?
As  the name suggests, an isolation tank is simply a tank that contains shallow water that is kept at body temperature and mixed with a lot of salt to create an environment completely isolated and dark for the user where he or she can float on the water.

The purpose of this experience is to allow one to relax and let their mind wonder in a quiet, pitch black, tank. They are really much more interesting than what I just described. In a nutshell, in the past they were used to test sensory deprivation. Feel free to click on the link above to read about their history and purpose. Furthermore, go on Youtube and check out the videos that come up under they keyword isolation tank.

The Experience
Today I went to one of the very few isolation tanks in Chicago with my brothers and cousin. The place is called SpaceTime Tanks. The website claims that you can take "a vacation in an hour." Our session was for an hour and upon arriving you get this awkward sense of nervousness. Once you arrive, you sit in the lobby and fill out a form where you accept and sign the terms and conditions for the service. They are not responsible for anything that may happen inside that tank.

The person there gave us a quick tour around to show us one of the tanks and gave us a quick explanation on what to expect, what not to expect, what to do and what not to do. Finally, he took us to our rooms and started his timer.

The Room
Prior to entering the tank I had to shower to get rid of all my hair product, etc. The room as you can see from the picture above is dark and candle lit. There is one chair that seriously reminds me of a crazy little girl with long hair (The Grudge or The Ring) for some reason! As I take my final deep breaths (as I am not a big fan of a slightly heated room, much less a tank, I open the front of the door and take a look inside.

In case you decide to go for yourself, if you choose Room 3, you will see something that will freak you out before entering the tank. I will not tell you what it is because then it will ruin the experience.

The Tank
Inside the tank when I closed the door it was extremely dark and quiet. The air is a little dense but not to the point where its difficult to breathe. As I let my body go I feel myself floating. It was very difficult to get adjusted to that feeling. I held myself to the wall or door until I felt comfortable. Inside the tank you lose track of time and your mind and feelings act on you more than anything else.

I remember just laying there staring at the ceiling of the tank and talking to myself in my head. For the first 15 minutes or so, I started to feel comfortable. I let go and let the water take me on its journey. I noticed immediately that I would panic when I moved or shifted from one direction to another because I had no idea which way I was facing. It feels like you are flying. As time passed, I began to relax and the talking ceased. Then I started to just think about things. Random things. One minute I'm in the park with my friends and the next I'm talking to my mother. It was like a dream. After being there for about 30 to 40 minutes, with absolutely no sound or light, I started seeing green clouds and hearing the sound of what seemed like the ocean or like if I was flying. The details are not very obvious and nor are the images but it was no longer pitch black in the tank. Occasionally I would pull myself back to the front by the door and hold on, and slowly my heart rate and my breathing would come to its normal state. I didn't experience anything scary or crazy, but I did feel extremely relaxed and got the opportunity to float. The only fear I had was when I first got in.

The Outcome
All in all, it was a nice experience. I honestly believe that if you are a person who has probably done bad things in life or freak out a lot about things then you will be the person who will seriously have a bad trip. I would highly recommend this place in Chicago and I will be going back in a few weeks. If you go, make sure you call and set an appointment and mention the coupon. I would recommend going with a group of people just to feel more comfortable.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experience, James. If anyone reading this is interested in finding a float spa near them, visit the directory at http://floatation.biz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great account of your experience floating. I wish I'd detailed my first few times. I was recently reading about tanks that are equipped with speakers and floating screens. Not sure how I feel about the extra stimulation but it could be an interesting experience.

    ReplyDelete